Monday, April 16, 2018

OUR LITTLE DALMATION

So many times in my life I am proud of Stella. There are small things and big things she does all the time that make me incredibly proud and feel so lucky to be her mom. So when I say that a moment was the proudest I have ever been, that is saying something.

Play auditions for 101 Dalmatians were in the fall. Fourth graders can audition for lead roles in the play. The bigger parts usually go to the older kids, though the younger kids can still try. BUT here is the thing: You have to sing a 30-second solo in front of all of the fifth and sixth graders that are also trying out. If you think for one second that I would have had the guts to do something like that, you are wrong. Stella was NERVOUS, and I told her she did not have to audition. But she said: "Mom, I want to." And so she did. I walked her into the auditorium, and her face...oh my gosh...I've never seen her so scared. As I walked out of the school leaving her to audition I thought my heart was going to explode from my love for her. How does she do that? How does she look at scary things straight in the face and just do them anyway? It is her number one most admirable quality, and I am so thankful for her brave example every single day.

So basically she had the best time preparing for the play. She loved her early morning rehearsals every Friday. And before we knew it, it was time for the show to go on. The performances were on March 8th & 9th.

Being on the art committee meant that I was there quite a bit and I was also in charge of ticket sales. So I only saw the show once from beginning to end. But I did have front row seats and it was delightful. Stella was the most adorable little puppy.

Porter and the Douglas crew came to the early Friday show, and the rest of the fans came to the later show.















Stella was adorable on stage of course. I'm sure other kids did well too, but I wasn't watching them obviously. I only had eyes for Stella, and so did Vivi. When Vivi first spotted Stella on stage she went crazy for her. I never tire of those two being special sisters.

Stella had a big moment where she stomped on Cruella's foot. In my opinion, it was a pivotal moment in the production.

The play is a lot of work, but it has a big payoff of fun. I LOVE being on the art committee and being a very small part of watching it all come together. What an amazing and fun memory for Stella to have forever.


























No comments: