Saturday, February 23, 2019

SAILING INTO MY FORTIES

After a few fun days in Florida it was time to head to Miami to get on our boat. Brent arrived late Saturday night and we set sail Sunday November 18th.

It took us awhile to check in. Tyler and Courtney's agent couldn't figure out how to get the kid's registered, but once we were all checked in we got on the boat. Vivi was so excited it was her first cruise! There is always some craziness when you first get on a boat, especially where all the food is located. This is the third time I have been on this actual ship, so I know my way around. We were all trying to stay together, but I was hungry and in need of a bathroom so we broke off and we were the first ones to make it to the lunch buffet. Eventually everyone else found us and we all enjoyed our first ice cream cones of the cruise.

It was such a pretty day in Miami. And I was so excited to set sail! Wahoo! We were pretty lazy until dinner. There was a bit of a incident with our reservations for dinner because Tyler and Courtney didn't come with us. It took forever for our table and to get waited on, however once that was settled we were taken care of. On thing I noticed with Royal Caribbean vs Princess cruise lines (our last cruise) was that when something went wrong they were quick to fix it and then they would do something extra to make up for it. While on Princess that never happened. I know people aren't perfect, but I definitely have an idea of what customer service should look like on a cruise. It isn't as fancy as it used to be that is for sure, but still.













Our first full day was the Bahamas. Mom had decided to buy us all tickets to go to Atlantis water park. It was not a cheap day. But it was fun for me. Stella and I had the best time. There was not a lot to do for Vivi, but it was right down me and Stella's alley. They had this rapids river that was pretty fun. We even got Brent to go on it with us one time. He took Stella and I took Vivi and I wish that I had been able to take my phone and get some evidence that we did that as a family. Stella and I tried all of the slides that we could. We didn't go on any that drop and get your swimsuit up your bum, but all the others we tried for sure. I think we both loved one that was like a roller coaster the best of all. Atlantis is a HUGE place and we didn't get a chance to really see everything, but we had a great time. Tyler and Courtney were stressed out about their kids, but I just tried to ignore them and have fun.

That night Stella feel asleep during dinner. The poor girl was exhausted. After dinner we walked down to the ship's promenade because they were having a dance party. Vivi loved it, but Stella thought the music was too loud. That night we found chocolate covered strawberries in our room. I don't know if they were an apology for our room not getting cleaned or because they didn't have anything to do for my birthday, but either way they were a fun discovery. I also think this was the night we went to the ice show, it was pretty great, but the girls were both so tired.
















Tuesday was my birthday, and it was a day at sea. We saw everyone at breakfast and Tyler and Courtney were smiling again so that was good. We played some shuffle board, went to a family activity, and just relaxed.

The best thing about celebrating my birthday on a cruise was that I kept forgetting that it was my birthday. I didn't have anyone calling me, or any Facebook messages and I honestly just would forget. However, if I ever did remember then....I was on a cruise so it was great.

To make this an extra special day, the cruise had a family karaoke time which was great. Stella dedicated some Taylor Swift to me and she did amazing. I loved hearing her sweet voice and seeing her sassy moves. Then I did my usual standby L-O-V-E. The kids all came up while I was singing and were great background dancers. The highlight of the whole thing was that when it was over this 12 year old boy came up to me to tell me how great I was. "You were so good, you sounded like one of those real Broadway singers." I was so touched. I mean can anything be more flattering than having a 12 year old boy make an effort to come up to you and give you a compliment. I love karaoke and it is really one of the reasons I love cruises.

That night was formal night so we all got decked out in our best outfits and the Evans crew joined us for the first time for dinner. We had a great dinner together and it was so fun. Obviously the whole dinner took on a level of extra when they brought over some cake and a candle for my birthday. I was feeling so special and loved. It was the best! I let Vivi have at my cake and all of the sudden I looked over and realized she had fallen asleep right in the middle of taking a bite. She almost looked awake, but she was definitely asleep. It was hilarious! A highlight of the whole cruise for sure.

Overall, it was the best birthday. I felt pretty special and kept forgetting I was now 40 until the good birthday stuff. It was great.





















































Day three of the cruise the 21st was a day at Labadee, one of Royal Carribean's private islands. One of my birthday presents was a ticket to ride the water slide there an unlimited amount of times for me and Stella. We tried that right away and we loved it. We had a great beach day. You get lunch and that is awesome and it is just a fun place to spend some time. We got lots of giggles videoing us floating around on my mom's float and the kids loved digging in the sand.

I don't remember how we spent the night since I don't have any pictures to remind me. I think it could have been the night we went to this review show where this absolutely obnoxious man played popular songs and jumped all around. I HATED it, but I stuck it out until the end just so I could be sure it was the worst thing I had ever seen on a cruise show.










Our last day was at sea, and it was Thanksgiving. Obviously it never felt like Thanksgiving even one time and that was just ok with me. We were pretty lazy of course, however we did get out selves up an together enough to go ice skating on the boat. It was Stella's first try at ice skating and she did GREAT. I do love to ice skate, but I think the shoes are so painful and I don't know how I used to go all the time in high school. I could tell Vivi wanted to give it a try with us, but she was way too little.

Vivi finally made it to a kid club activity that day and Stella and I picked her up and we walked around the ship while the sun was setting. I found that the sun set much earlier each day than I expected it to. So I'm glad we finally made it out there to enjoy it on our last night. It was really pretty that night too. And so were my girls. (Vivi really loved the kids club BTW.)

















We had one last chance to do family karaoke time and it worked out awesome that they had the songs from High School Musical, because Stella and I rock at duets from those shows. So we did "What Time Is It?" and it was our best performance yet. We hadn't practiced, but it looked like we had. We even ended with a jump in the air and our arms up just perfectly. It was GREAT! Then Brent got his chance to rock the stage and he sang "All By Myself". Soon Vivien joined him and he wasn't alone any longer. Vivi even sang a few notes and it was great.

So the girls had not yet had a chance to swim in the pool so we went before dinner for a little swim. It was WINDY and we didn't stay long. But it was an adventure and I think the girls were glad we made the effort at least once.









After our swim we got ready for our Thanksgiving dinner. The food wasn't great, but I didn't have to cook any of it so I thought it was great. Brent ordered two dinners and I think he was happy enough. We walked around the ship a bit, but then made it an early night because we were leaving in the morning so I had to pack and stuff.

So it was a great cruise. I have to say that I have felt kind of young and invincible most of my life, but 40 had hit me a bit hard. My body feels like it is starting to reach its limit and I am finding myself obsessed with my mortality. This was our last big adventure for 2018 and it capped off a year of LOTS of adventures. I guess I just keep wanting to get out and live. I am such a lazy person in general, but I hate just sitting around and watching my life fly by. I love this time of my life with my kids and I want to enjoy them as much as I can in the same way I feel like my parents enjoyed traveling with us. This cruise was the perfect ending to a great decade of my life and hopefully the beginning of a great decade to come.












ADD COURTNEY'S TEXTED PICTURES WHEN PUTTING IN BOOK

We had a few days back in the house before we headed home. We mostly hung out, but we did manage to go out to dinner at Panera one night and I was feeling like some Krispy Kreames so  we picked up Vivi's first donuts. I probably wouldn't have taken the pictures, but then they have these hats and I couldn't resist.






No comments: