Monday, March 9, 2020

CAST LIST

There was quite the unrest with the arts booster at William Penn at the end of the year last year and it was looking like there really might not be a play. We needed a new director and I kind of talked the dance teacher, Holly into doing it. But then all these moms stepped in and acted all crazy and she almost backed out. She talked about doing the play Annie and when she announced that I thought right away: "and Stella will be Annie." That thought was one of the reasons I remained so invested in the play as things were falling apart in the summer. Thankfully it did end up working out and the play was purchased and auditions announced.

Turns out, Stella had the same idea about Annie. She told me at the beginning of the summer: "Mom, I want to be Annie." I told her that I knew she could, but that she would have to show up at auditions and show all of the judges that she WAS Annie. So we got pretty serious. Stella started private voice lessons with Emily that helped so much. She helped Stella chose an audition song and they worked on all the components of auditioning.

Stella has never gotten a call back for any of the other plays, so that was the first hurdle. When she got one we were so excited. She had to come up with another song for the call back, and so she sang "Shy" again (that song is coming in real handy). I've always called myself a "backstage mom" because I am invested in Stella, but not crazy about it. But I have to say this audition pulled out the total stage mom in me. When I dropped Stella off for callbacks I said to her. "You go in there and show them Annie just walked in." I meant it to sound supportive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it felt more like a threat. At callbacks Holly, the director had the kids read different parts, and Stella was the only kid who only read for Annie. I was feeling pretty confident in her, but we had to wait the WHOLE three day weekend to find out the cast. Thankfully we went to Idaho to make the wait less painful, but it was SO HARD.

The cast list was going to be posted at the end of the day Monday September 30th, and Stella was nervous the whole day. She was pretty invested, we were invested. We weren't the people that just randomly auditioned for the play. Stella went in ready to get the part of Annie. So Vivi and I got to the school a little before the bell and Vivi fell asleep in the car while I freaked out. I finally realized I needed to think that maybe Stella wouldn't get Annie. I had never let myself think that she wouldn't get it...I was just so sure. Vivi woke up and needed the bathroom so we had to go into the school and I walked passed the cast list on the wall without looking at it, which was a huge feat of strength and self control. But I really wanted Stella to be the one to tell me the news.

It seemed like it took forever for her to come out of the school, and I did not want to hear it from some random kid, so I was just wishing for her to hurry out. When she finally got out and spotted us, she rushed over and told us almost seriously that she got Annie. Vivi screamed and I was shaking and crying. I was so happy and proud. Stella was acting a bit strange and I couldn't tell why until she started crying in the car and I realized how overwhelmed she was. We called everyone with the news and I  made her pose for some pictures at home. But when I least expected it she would just burst into tears. She was so happy. What a big moment for our little girl. She wanted it, she worked hard and she got it.










No comments: