Tuesday, May 21, 2019

OUR LIONESS

When Stella did not get a call back for Lion King auditions in September I asked her if she still wanted to be in the play even if she was back in the chorus and she told me that she didn't care what part she had, she just wanted to be in the play. That kid. I don't know how much of that attitude is how we've raised her or how much of it is just who she is, but I sure admire her attitude. The play this year had SO many kids and even though I had front row seats for one of the shows, you couldn't see Stella most of the time. Still, she loved it.

I had a pretty involved part behind the scenes this year. It was my third year volunteering on the art committee. I was there early to sell tickets I was at all of the planning meetings and I was in the middle of all the drama. I love to volunteer at the school, but I don't really like working in the classrooms. Working with the arts has been a great fit. However, our president has been a mess the last two years and it really made the play more drama than it needed to be. This was the last year our director was going to be involved, she has been involved for the last ten years and she was done. She was such an amazing person who I really admired. This year started off with her getting paid less than last year and I consider it my best contribution that I made sure she got a bonus at the end of the play that made her salary what it was in years past. So what little power I had was used for good this year and I am happy about that. It is crazy how intense some of these parents get about the play. I'm not sure what my involvement will be next year, but overall I am sad that all of the hard work that I have put in is now coming to an end.

Definitely the best part is being more involved in the play and seeing the joy Stella has being a part of it. This year she was an adorable Lioness, and she missed the school performance because she was sick. She also had to perform sick one of the nights. I am always proud of her when she sucks it up because the show must go on.

The performances were February 21st and 22nd.














No comments: