Monday, January 27, 2020

GIMMIE A VEE

Our Vivien has been obsessed with cheerleaders ever since she has seen them. She loved going to Cy's games and ignoring the basketball, but then sitting in rapt attention as the cheerleaders perform at halftime. So when one of the young women in our ward invited kiddos to be part of the mini cheer camp, I signed Vivien up with no hesitation.

She had two practices before the performance. And it is so interesting to do these things with a child other than Stella. I knew that if I had brought little four year old Stella to something like this she would have been pretty nervous and stand offish. But not Vivi. She went right in and made that gym her stage. Her and hundreds of other little cheerleaders. On the first day I had to take Stella to dance, but on Thursday Stella wanted to go back to the gym and watch Vivien practice. It was hilarious and adorable to watch her basically do her own thing most of the time.

Eventually we got a bit bored so Stella and I walked around the school since she will be going to Olympus. Before I know it, my baby is going to graduating from there. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

So the official performance was on at a Football game on August 23. Vivi was thrilled. She loved her Olympus tattoo and could barely stand the excitement of getting to be a cheerleader. We dropped her off, found some seats on the front row and chatted with people until halftime. Shari came to support Vivi as well which was fun.

Vivi spent the first half of the game sitting with the cheerleaders and then went down for half time. I guess she started crying because she lost Trinity, the cheerleader in our ward that was taking care of her. But she perked up when it was time to put on her show. She was hilarious and adorable. She mostly just jumped around and dazzled us with her pom pom skills. I loved it. It was such a fun night and Vivi loved being the star as usual.

After the show we went to Chil-fil-A with Shari and then home. Obviously I hope that Vivi never becomes a cheerleader and risks her life, but for now I'm the biggest cheerleader of this cheerleader.

Note: This was the night I ran into my friend Mike from High School and his wife. They were HS sweethearts. Their daughter is a Varsity cheerleader so I was being all nice and friendly asking about their daughter and then I was talking about High School since I knew them in HS. Anyway, weeks later the wife (Amy) ran into my friend Tiffany (best drama friend) and she asked Tiffany if I was "...like still obsessed with like High School." I was completely shocked by this comment and it has made me laugh and annoyed me since. Considering I wasn't obsessed with HS while in HS it was the strangest thing to hear someone think of me. And here I just thought I was being nice. They have kids at William Penn and now ever time I see them I am so self conscious about whether or not I sound "obsessed with HS". It has become quite comical at this point really.



















No comments: