Friday, November 20, 2009

IN MY THIRTIES

As you get older, birthdays become less and less cool. I remember when I couldn't sleep the night before my birthday, and this morning I could barely even get up. I guess now that I am actually IN my thirties I am officially too old to get excited for my birthday. However, I still tried my best to enjoy the day despite our continuing family drama.

I had a wedding shoot scheduled today. I had been nervous about it because I really can't cancel something like that. Thankfully, everything with my dad remained calm. The wedding shoot went great, and was sort of a delightful distraction. I found myself almost cheerful by the end of it.

Then I called my mom who was watching Stella, and asked her if I could do some shopping. She was kind enough to let me. I found an adorable cardigan at Anthropologie and then, as a special birthday gift to myself, I allowed myself by FOUR jackets for Bells. Gap was having a 50% off outerwear sale today...I just couldn't help myself, and since it was my birthday, I didn't allow myself to feel ashamed.

I was also encouraged today by the news that my dad was awake. However, I was not fully prepared for my visit with him. It was probably the most difficult one so far, and I only feel okay about it now because I feel like he is closer to getting better. He still has the ventilator but he has been taken off of one of his medications, and they tell us that he will be kind of nuts for a few days until the medicine leaves his body. He of course can't talk, but he still kept trying to talk to me and my mom. I know he wanted to tell us that it hurt and that he couldn't move. I have no idea if he is confused, but I am certain that he does not like feeling out of control and that he is hating this. Plus, during this visit, even though I wanted to burst into tears, I had to keep it together because he can see me now, and I don't want him to worry about anything but resting and getting better. So all in all, it was an unpleasant visit, and I pray angels will calm him through the next few days.

Ashley was kind enough to arrange a small gathering at my house tonight. And she brought over some Chinese food. Being the awesome sister that she is, she also brought me balloons earlier in the day. Boy oh boy, did the girls love those balloons. In fact, there was a balloon casualty from Ava enjoying them so much. We had dinner and then we had my special Baskin-Robbins ice cream cake. A few weeks ago I had mentioned to Brent that I wanted one for my birthday, and this morning I was surprised to find a "love" scavenger hunt that took me to various spots in the house (microwave, dishwasher, rootbeer stash) until I was finally led to the freezer where I found my cake. How Brent snuck that thing into the house without me knowing or having it melt is the biggest surprise (since I am very nosy), and when I found it I yelled out a delighted "aaaaahhhh!"

Plus Miss Stella sang Happy Birthday to me more than once today and gave me an abundance of birthday kisses. So all things considered (getting old, working, and sick daddy), it wasn't a bad birthday. And for that I have only to thank my many friends who called or sent a text or Facebook message, and my lovely family that mean the world to me. Especially that old man on the ventilator that I missed desperately while I ate my chocolate ice cream cake.


I got a huge kick out of how Riley signed my card. Not only was his message "so Riley," but he also signed his last name in case I wasn't sure which Riley it was.


Tyler's card was so un-funny, it was hilarious.
"Best card ever." -Tyler


Stella thought my Gap gift card was for her. But who are we kidding? I am totally going to use it to buy clothes for her anyway, so she might as well claim it.


Stella's face lit up when we sang "Happy Birthday." She was like, "Hey, I know this song!"


Chocolate lips...


7 comments:

Christy said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your birthday! I'm also glad that your dad is improving slowly but surely. I hate that he hates it though. :(
Thanks to Brent, Stella and Ashley for making your birthday a fun one!
Love you!!

Johnson's said...

Sorry this is a little late...Happy Birthday!!! Good thing you were able to have a little shopping theropy ;)
I'm also glad your dad is improving.
You're awesome!

Mistie said...

Happy Birthday Michelle! Happy to hear your dad is starting to do a bit better!

Christy said...

Happy belated birthday!!!

Brandy said...

Glad it was a good celebration. I can imagine how hard it was to focus on yourself a little, but I'm proud you did! Can't wait to see the wedding shoot.

angelicindy said...

I am so relieved to hear that you were able to have some really great moments on your birthday! You really do have a wonderful loving family :)

Anonymous said...

Happy-Belated Birthday! The world became wonderfully more sassy the day you were born, for which the rest of us get the benefit.