Sunday, November 29, 2009

SEALED

A whole seventeen years ago on a Thanksgiving weekend my family was sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. It was something that I had wanted desperately. However, I certainly had a very small understanding of what it would mean to my life.

A few weeks ago our Sunday School teacher asked, "How has the Gospel of Jesus Christ affected your family?" I am going to answer that here in a similar way to how I answered in class.

It's sort of a hard question to answer since I don't think I can really comprehend how the church has changed my family. When I was 14, my family was sealed and I was so excited about it, but I was still so young in the church. When I think about how my family has been able to support me because of the Gospel, and when I think about how my dad has been able to give me so many blessings since we started going back to church, I can't imagine living without it. The effects have been both eternal and temporal.

When my dad was first put on the ventilator and the chance that I might lose him was pressing down on me, Brent kept reminding me that we were sealed, and how could I not find comfort in that truth? While I have been struggling through this time, I realize that the Gospel and knowledge that my family was sealed in a house of God is a truth to me. This truth is all I have, and sometimes it is all we have to hang on to. It is certainly all that really matters.

2 comments:

angelicindy said...

I don't think I ever knew that. What a special experience! Thank you so much for sharing.

Sara said...

I remember that. I remember being really happy for you because you were so excited...and pretty darn adamant about your parents going to church. :)