Thursday, October 16, 2008

PRETTY THINGS IN MY HOUSE

I have always loved taking pictures, and have certainly thought I have a bit of an eye for it. However, I never wanted to take up the hobby for fear that I might not be as good at it as I would like. I have always been extremely critical of photography. Of course now with digital cameras...which I felt great disdain towards for many years...it is a lot easier and less expensive to pick up the hobby. When I finally decided to get a digital camera, and then a fancy Nikon SLR camera...my daily life took a turn.

Now, everywhere I go I see pictures. I see great locations to take pictures of people, and I frame almost everything I look at as if I were taking a picture right then. If you haven't been able to tell from my previous blog posts, I have become obsessed. Like any hobby or talent, you have to practice so I take so many pictures. I have found that my process if very similar to when I am working with wedding flowers...you can't think too much. When you just let go, magic happens. In fact very often I think I hate a shot, but when I get it on my computer it is suddenly a favorite.

So basically I do not claim to be the next great photography talent, just like I know I am not really too amazing at making a wedding bouquet. But I find joy in doing it. Plus, I think I have good tastes, and I know what looks good...even if it takes a few tries to get what I want.

Lately I have been going around my house and taking pictures of some of the beautiful things I see everyday. Here are some of my first faves:

3 comments:

Brandy said...

Admittedly, it doesn't hurt that your entire home is decorated with beautiful antiques. You are making me want a digital SLR. I'm poor, Michelle, please STOP tempting me! Ü

Anna said...

Love it.

Mistie said...

What wonderful shots. I swear- sometimes i ignore the everday things that i love so much. and a picture captures it forever. I've often thougth that i should go to my parents home (where i grew up) and take some shots of things I've loved. Anyway- that is cool. And i love taking pictures too. Getting a nice digital helps also. BTW- did you take those shots on a manual setting? Or what setting? I love the focus and the blur behind. I really am curious...