Saturday, September 13, 2008

BRENT 2000

Here is a still from a film you haven't seen.

So, even though this is supposed to be a family blog, it seems to have been monopolized of late by some baby that can't even really do anything yet. Meanwhile we adults live fascinating lives with nary a mention in the blog. I'm sure you have all been saying, enough with the baby already, what's Brent been up to lately? Well, nothing much, other than a monumental achievement in the the course of my film viewing experience. That's right, today I finished watching my 2000th movie.

As you all well know, ever since the advent of the internets, I've been rating every movie I see on IMDb.com, which is kind enough to track these ratings for me over time, and was even kind enough to reward me with a wife a few years back. A few years ago, when I hit the 1000 mark, it just so happened to be with Carl Dreyer's excellent, excellent Ordet. (Did I mention it was excellent?) So naturally, I was hoping for a film of equal caliber for my next big milestone...

...which I found with Jacques Rivette's also excellent Celine and Julie Go Boating, which I might best describe as a cross between Mulholland Drive and Alice in Wonderland. A very fitting movie for my 2000th as well, as it's such an original and entertaining metaphor for film-watching and, perhaps, film history, says J. Hoberman of the Village Voice. Also, David Thomson of Soho Weekly calls it "the most radical and delightful narrative film since Citizen Kane! The experience of a lifetime." Published in 1997 by New Yorker Video, Celine and Julie Go Boating is truly worth the $33.75 purchase price.

See you in another 1000 movies!

3 comments:

About Us said...

Can you say Ebert and Sallay? Or maybe you can take Doug Wright's place on channel 5 news...or Gene Shallit's Critics Corner...

Dave said...

I wonder, which number was the My Little Pony movie? We were pretty young back then, so I figure somewhere in the early 200s.

Anonymous said...

For the record, even though we watched that like a hundred times, it only counted once in my tally.